Another big weekend at the box office thanks to Pixar’s new film, Inside Out, and an incredible second weekend by Universal Studios sequel, Jurassic World, which is on pace to being the fastest movie to gross $1 billion world wide. Inside Out, while Pixar’s first film not to debut #1 at the domestic box office had the highest opening weekend ever for an original film (meaning non-sequels, prequels, reboots, or based on existing material like books). The film also had Pixar’s second best opening weekend ever with Toy Story 3 still holding the top spot.
- Jurassic World $102 million (down 51% in second week, total domestic gross at $398.2 million)
- Inside Out $91.06 million across 3,946 theaters domestically opening weekend
- Spy $10.5 million (down 32.8% from last week, in its third week, total domestic gross at $74.8 million)
- San Andreas $8.24 million (down 23.8% from last week, in its fourth week, total domestic gross at $132.23 million)
- Dope $6.018 million across 2,002 theaters domestically opening weekend
- Insidious Chapter 3 $4.11 million (total domestic $45.37 million)
- Pitch Perfect 2 $3.3 million (total domestic $177.5 million)
- Mad Max: Fury Road $2.815 million (total domestic $143.602 million)
- Avengers: Age of Ultron $2.723 million (total domestic $451.04 million)
- Tomorrowland $2.009 million (total domestic $87.7 million)
Coming out Soon
- Ted 2 – June 26th
- Magic Mike XXL – July 1st
- Terminator: Genisys – July 1st
Updated 06-22-15 3:51PM CST: Jurassic World will pass $1 billion globally today, four days faster than the previous record holder, Furious 7.