Two new movies, expected to be major summer hits, sputtered in their opening box office weekend. Terminator: Genisys and Magic Mike XXL missed expectations, big time. In fact, Magic Mike XXL barely beat out Ted 2 which is in its second week while the box office winners were Jurassic World, which is now at $558.14 million domestically and Pixar’s emotional masterpiece, Inside Out.
Terminator Genisys was crushed by the previous franchise film, Terminator: Salvation which made $65.32 million in it’s 5-day total, over $20 million more than the new movie. Check out the list below and click on the links to see reviews for films. The original Magic Mike, meanwhile, made $49.62 million in its 5-day while the sequel pulled in just under $27 million.
- Jurassic World ($30.9 million in 4th week, $558.14 million total)
- Inside Out ($30.105 million in 3rd week, $246.16 million total)
- Terminator: Genisys ($28.7 million in opening weekend, $44.156 million in 5-day opening)
- Magic Mike XXL ($11.6 million in opening weekend, $26.66 million in 5-day opening)
- Ted 2 ($11.6 million in 2nd week)
The top 10 is rounded out by Max (2015), Spy, San Andreas, and Me and Earl and the Dying Girl with Mad Max: Fury Road (8th week) and Avengers: Age of Ultron (10th week) finally dropping out of the list. Insidious Chapter 3 also dropped out of the top 10 after just 5 weeks.
Mr. Holmes 7/24